Politicians tell us that we have a binary choice to make, many feel it is between a candidate who lies versus one with an apparent personality disorder. Our future they say is the hands of one of these individuals.
I vehemently disagree. Our societal troubles are far deeper than these two individuals. We know that Americans have fewer friends, trust less, while empathy for others has decreased. Let’s bring this political dilemma down to an individual dilemma.
- Do you lie?
- Do you blame others when you make a mistake?
- Do you become overly defensive when questioned if someone is being critical?
- Do you slander your colleagues, friends, spouses, relatives and most importantly your children if they disagree with you?
- Do you value achievement more than integrity?
- Do you value appearance more than character?
These are all the questions this election has brought to the forefront. It is not just about electing a leader. It is about YOU being a leader. A leader in every interaction you have. It is about communicating with tact, honestly and most importantly with empathy.
Empathy is a capacity we are born with.
Arthur P. Ciaramicoli,