The Oxford Empathetic Care Program (OxCare) is an interdisciplinary research group that includes medical practitioners, philosophers, psychologists, and sociologists.
The questions we aim to answer include:
- What does empathy mean?
- How can practitioners remain empathetic even when they have bad news to deliver?
- Does being empathetic always involve being positive?
- Does studying humanities improve practitioner empathy?
- What is the evidence that being empathetic improves outcomes?
- What outcomes does empathy improve?
- Does empathy add value to the healthcare system, and if so, how?
- Can machines (computers, robots) be empathetic?
- What can we learn about human empathy from these machines?