When conflict happens, and it is ubiquitous in human existence, people and organisations can sustain damage. Professional relationships can be damaged, moral and organisational reputation can plummet and litigation can follow. Typical interventions often make matters worse or shift them sideways only to manifest or mutate at a later date.
Restorative Communication can provide one-on-one coaching for managers and leaders finding themselves responsible for outcomes in conflict situations.
In situations where a student, parent/guardian, or teacher is aggrieved the nature of the relationship directly impacts the organisational outcomes. We can provide individuals in your organisation with the skills and support to build the necessary bridges, achieving better outcomes.
Typically, we are taught to ‘manage’ or ‘avoid’ conflict. This is often both a contributing factor in its escalation and a lost opportunity.
Harnessed, using the appropriate skills, conflict offers an opportunity to strengthen relationships, build trust and understanding and learn lessons that can improve organisational performance and reduce costs.
Facilitated ‘Restorative Circles’ are a method of achieving these goals that can be applied to;
- PARENT/GUARDIAN v SCHOOL CONFLICT
- TEACHER v STUDENT CONFLICT
- CLASS v TEACHER CONFLICT
- ADMINISTRATION v STAFF OR STUDENT CONFLICT
- SCHOOL v COMMUNITY CONFLICT
Restorative Communication offers Restorative Circle facilitation, and Restorative Circle Facilitator training. We also provide introduction sessions that provide those new to or curious about this form of Restorative Justice and its potential within your institutional community.
Compassionate, or Nonviolent Communication (NVC) was developed by the revolutionary Psychologist Dr Marshall B. Rosenberg, a student and colleague of Carl Rogers, considered one of the founding fathers of psychotherapy research.
NVC offers the following benefits in educational applications;
- IMPROVES CLASSROOM TEAMWORK, COOPERATION AND EFFICIENCY
- STRENGTHENS STUDENT INTEREST AND RETENTION
- HELPS STUDENTS AND TEACHERS CONNECT TO THEIR WORK
- BUILDS TRUST AND CONNECTION IN THE CLASSROOM
- HELPS MAXIMIZE THE INDIVIDUAL POTENTIAL OF ALL STUDENTS
- OFFERS AN EFFECTIVE MEANS OF DE-ESCALATING CONFLICT
- OFFERS AN EFFECTIVE MEANS OF COMMUNICATION WITH PARENTS AND CAREGIVERS
Restorative Communication comes to your school and tailors training to your needs. We provide small group, face-to-face sessions of varying duration that often include scenario-based facilitation targeted at your specific needs.