Research scientist Michael Grybko — of the Department of Psychology at the University of Washington — returned to the show to help me define empathy from a scientific standpoint.
In this file Michael Grybko and I discuss:
- How Science is Changing Our Definition of Empathy
- Why Pathos is a Good Jumping Off Place for Writers
- What Actors and Doctors Have in Common with Writers
- Are Mirror Systems the Key to Human Empathy?
- How to Resist the Dark Side of Empathy
- The Difference Between Good Storytelling and Great Storytelling
- Why Writers Need to Crawl Inside the Heads of Their Audience
- How Marketers Tap into Well-Worn Paths in Our Brains
- The Key to Empathizing with Your Readers
- Why Great Marketing Starts with the Desire to Help People