by Emily Liscom i
In my classroom, the single most important thing I can teach my students is empathy. If my students are able to understand the thoughts, feelings, and needs of others, they will be able to interact in a selfless manner. This will also help them to avoid physical and unpleasant conflict.
Here are 5 ways to teach your students empathy.
- 1. Use Reading Standards that focus on character to teach empathy.
- 2. Allow your students to share their personal stories from the beginning of the school year.
- 3. When there is a conflict, have a plan for solution driven conversations.
- 4. As a class, take the time to focus on one feeling at a time.
- 5. Accept each student for who he or she is, as an individual.